My son will be 14 soon, he s 5 10 and 176 lbs. I m looking for a dirt bike for him and not sure what I should get him?

SO YOU OWN LOTS OF PRIVATE LAND WHERE THE BUTTERBALL CAN RIDE?

Or are you buying the junior lard mountain a bike which will be driven all round the neighbourhood till ether fatty is splattered all over the front side or rear of some poor motorist.

Or he is picked up by lily law.

If the former Lard stains are extremely hard to remove from a cars wax finish.

May one suggest you buy the dead weight a year or four membership of a gym.

And throw in some extra so they can pay a cleaner to remove the grease he sweats off!.

Oh and a bonus so they can strengthen the floor and equipment.

One thing if you buy the piglet some leathers they will resemble the original pig they were removed from.

Let him get it for him. Maybe he is not a biker. Many are afraid of machines or getting their neck broke.  He is gangly....all arms and legs...so not suited to riding. Let him decide that is what he wants. He can try it out on an old bike and then upgrade if he is into it.

Me, I rode for 20 years and then stopped cold turkey.  Bikes are gone. Have no desire to ride again.  It got boring. I rode off road and on road.,,and acquired a dozen machines during that time.  Then, did not give a sht anymore.

You need to have a motorcycle license to ride on the public roads and insurance.so you HAVE TO BE 16.  Off road bikes are not allowed on roads.

I'm glad you have all this land for your son's dirt-bike,, and not using other peoples land to tear up with that thing... very good..  you wouldn't want a lawsuit- unexpectedly..   he he he

An old Honda 125 trail bike. Can ride across road to BLM .

I think he should be riding bicycles, given his age and weight. I'd a worn out late 70's cruiser bicycle with ZERO gears when I was his age. 

When I turned 12 or 13, my parents couldn't afford my transportation to school hence I bought it off of my cousin for 20 pounds. It was EXTREMELY rusty so I painted it jet black (My favorite color!), lubed the chains and wheels, replaced brake pads, patched the tubes and changed the worn out rear tyre with another less worn out rear tyre. 

Everyone made fun of me but I couldn't care less! I was a broke teenager with a jobless father, what choice did I have? It was either this bicycle and the constant shaming or a 45 minutes (one way) hike to school every single day. 

Rant over!

My whole point is, don't spoil your son. Make him appreciate the things you do for him or in other words, set his daddy bar a bit lower! Make him 'earn' his dirt bike. 

Au Revoir. 

A 176 pound toddler?

I'd get him a Big Wheel so he could burn some of that fat off!!

• Pete L

I'd say 14 is MUCH too young to staart riding a motor bike, let him have and enjoy his childhood and stop trying to force him into the adult world!

• Dimo

What you should do is figure out WHERE and WHY he will ride. Starting where in the world are you?

Do you live next to BLM or forest land, so the kid can just start riding? If not, do you plan on driving transporting the motorcycle and your son to someplace he can ride? Or do you expect him to ride illegally?

Is there public land, BLM or forest, for him to ride; or will he be riding on in private motorcycle park; or will he be riding illegally on the streets?

Do you live where he can start riding legally at age 14?

Personally, I have never understood dirt-only bikes. Dual-sport bikes can go anywhere a dirt bike can go, while a dirt bike is illegal anywhere in public other than public dirt. I would suggest a 125 to 250cc dual-sport bike -- titled, registered, so he can ride the streets as well, as soon as he is old enough.

Try to find a nicely maintained used Yamaha YZ 250F or Honda CRF 250, both are 4-stroked engine so good torque but not overly powerful wrist-grabbers. He can learn from that to see what his next bike is. ;)

Make sure to get good protection as for riding gear, quality boots, helmet and gloves and whatever clothing that fits your area.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs, still ride a YZ 450F
    • don r

I've seen girls riding Yamaha and Kawasaki 250s. Get your boy what he wants.

• k w

ask the motorcycle dealer, a good one who knows his business would know.....or even ask your son, what dirt bike would he like ? then compare to dealer recos and prices...

• k w

don't forget a motorcycle safety class, I too one at the local college, I learned a lot more than I would with just friends.....well worth the donation.....