What should I do?

I threw my friend a bbq birthday party that I spent $140 on to make it perfect and of the ten people going, he was the only one who offered to help and contributed to it.  I didn’t complain.  It made his day special, after all the bad things he’d been through over the past year.  Now that there’s something fun on the day before my birthday, my friends are more interested in that than the idea of attending my birthday party, which they already confirmed they were attending.  I reminded them of it, said I’m having lunch that day with a mutual friend to celebrate my birthday, but that we can catch up the next day to celebrate if they like.  They didn’t reply.  Is it okay not to bother making a big deal out of their birthdays anymore?  

• Linda

If they don't want to honor your birthday, then don't go out of your way to make their day special. The friend who you spent$140 on should have tried to do something nice for you. It sounds like they are taking your generous spirit for granted.

Yes, especially since no one is in elementary school anymore. You don't have to bring cupcakes for the whole class.