Never been to a bar. Should I go alone?

I am a 26 yo woman but I've never been to a bar. I am really shy (social anxiety) and don't even know how to like... order drinks or how it works. I keep asking my friends to take me, actually they all recommend the gay bar for my first time, but it never ends up happening. Do you think it's a bad idea to just go alone? Honestly I would probably have to have a shot before going in order to get the courage to actually do it lol. But do you think it would be too awkward to go alone, or a good thing? Thanks

Take one of your friends never go to a bar alone especially if your a woman bad idea

no, do no t dare do that, bad idea, too dangerous.

For a woman, don't go alone, there are creeps that look specifically for girls that are alone, so not a good idea. Go to a bar with at least 2-3 friends. And to be honest, if you're not going to the bar with the intention to meet new people or to be approached by a stranger (that can possibly be sweet and end up in a sexual intercourse), then you can drink with friends at home, much cheaper and no social anxiety. Good luck :)

• Ocimom

NO. And why would your friends suggest a gay bar if you are not gay? You need new friends. Bars are not all that great and you can easily be taken advantage of if you are alone. I would say stay away from them - not a good way to meet people.

Not sure why you're dying to go to a bar when you're actually getting to the age where a lot of people stop going to places like that. But do whatever you like. Do know that any woman alone in a bar is likely to be hassled by a lot of guys. Also keep track of your drink so you don't get dosed and raped.

• Anony2 weeks agoReport

Because I've never been to one and it's an experience I would like to have? I think that's reasonable.

• Linda

I think it would be a bad idea, especially if you had a shot first. What if you meet some unscrupulous guy who finds that you're all by yourself and follows you home or spikes your drink? There is safety in numbers.

If you’re already socially awkward, you’d not only be awkward because you’re alone, but uncomfortable if you’re approached. Why not make a solid plan with a date and time and ask friends?

Gay bars are pretty great if you want a loud, vibrant atmosphere full of people who basically have no compass when it comes to chatting up and dancing with literally anyone in sight. I'm a straight dude, but I like going there. With that said, women are a LOT more aggressive than men when it comes to the bar scene, so prepare yourself for that.

But my advice would be that you stop waiting for your friends and organize a night out on your own. Call some people, get a group going, and just have fun.

Going to a bar alone is a bad idea, men will start hitting on you as soon as you walk in - most will get the wrong idea. Why won't your friends go with you? Very strange.

Oh. the 'really shy' story. This sounds like another of your made up stories.