Shona
Shona asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Should Margaret Attwood have got the Booker prize for The Testaments? I'm not sure it's anywhere near as good as the Handmaid's Tale are you?

• Sharon

Handmaid's Tale is definitely her best, and IIRC did win one of the science fiction awards, so who needs the dolts at Booker who ignored it

I don't qualify to make that judgement.

It sounds more like "Well I don't read that often, but I've discovered this other novel of hers on tv that isn't eligible for that award I've heard about...."

• Shona

I am not impressed with the three characters stories really. Especially using Lydia as the narrator. Evaristo is much worthier co-winner, especially as she's been overlooked for so long.

I think you are probably right: it gets it as much for the Handmaid's Tale missing out on the 1986 Booker Prize. Glad it didn't stop them giving it to Bernie Evaristo.