I am 73 and collect ss,could I benefit from form ssa-521?

• RICK

Unless you have been drawing SS for a year or less you csn no longer fileForm521

• NA

The law changed in this form. Once you file for SSA benefits, you are given a maximum of one year to file it, pay back all your benefits, then file again for a "higher" monthly benefit.

I doubt you waited until 72 to file the first time (and it wouldn't change the amount at all due to your age).

• Judith

The form SSA-521 is a withdrawal of claim. If you filed an SSA-521 and it were approved that would mean that you NEVER filed for social security benefits and ALL benefits you've received as a result of the withdrawn claim would have to be repaid.

Frankly if you were to do that it would seem you need to have your head examined and that a court-appointed legal guardian would be appropriate. I would NEVER have approved an SSA-521 from anyone who has been receiving benefits as long as I suspect you've been receiving them. Of course you could always appeal the decision.

I can't imagine what possible benefit it would be to you to withdraw your claim. If you can, I'd like to hear it.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
    • Judith

TY. I didn't know that. It makes more sense than the way it was before.

Social Security regulations are pretty complex.  You really need to find an expert accountant, banker, or lawyer to help you run the numbers and figure out what scenario would be best for you.