What does God mean by John 14:5-11?

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[a] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

What does this mean?

• Gloria

It means if we want to be righteous we must follow the way Jesus taught us to be. Also "he that has seen me hast seen the father" means the same spirit of righteousness that is in God is also in his begotten son Jesus the Christ. There is no distinction of divine righteousness between Father and Son except the distinction of might. Jesus is a mighty god, but the Father alone is THE almighty/all powerful GOD. This is the reason Jesus is able to say "my Father is greater than I" John 14:28.

• lillie

By manifesting his Father’s love in his own words and deeds, Jesus drew people closer to God. That is one reason why he could say: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . . . He that has seen me has seen the Father also. How is it you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in union with the Father and the Father is in union with me? The things I say to you men I do not speak of my own originality; but the Father who remains in union with me is doing his works. . . . You heard that I said to you, I am going away and I am coming back to you. If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going my way to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am.” (John 14:6-28) Yes, Jesus was “the way and the truth and the life” because he was leading those Jewish people back to his Father, their true God, Jehovah. Therefore, with Jesus mankind’s search for God suddenly took on impetus because God, in his supreme love, had sent Jesus to the earth as a beacon of light and truth to lead men to the Father.—John 1:9-14; 6:44; 8:31, 32.

Source(s): New World Translation Bible

Lmfao that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of! Go get a freaking life man! 😡

• It means if you want to get where your going, follow Him

These and greater things shall you do.

• A C

Jesus is God. Also refer to John 1:1 and 1:14.

Seems fairly straightforward to me. The writer of John was claiming that Jesus was the earthly intermediary of God and thus Jesus spoke for God and speaking to Jesus was speaking to God. Of course, it helps if you understand the historical context of the religious beliefs at the time.