how do you determine the size of a wrench to use on a nut or bolt.?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best answer

I look at the bolt, I make a guess as to what size a wrench I need. The more you do it the easier it is to pick the right one.

• hart
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

take a caliper and you will know

• 2 months ago

people with experience know the bolt size by looking at it. Sometimes those metric sizes can throw you off, but usually you're right.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Look at the not and mentally estimate the size, then try wrenches that might fit. Use the one with the best fit. I have a small caliper I measure things with and that helps as well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You see if the wrench or socket fits the damn bolt jojo.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Experience over time.

• 2 months ago

after a while you just know. It also helps to know what type of bolts your car has,eg metric, Whitworth, UNF BSF etc etc

• not
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You put in the time, experience. There are some cheats: for example Honda is mostly 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17. You can tell those apart pretty easily. Bring the other sizes to the party and you'll be fumbling around. GM prefers 13 and 15 not 12 or 14. Recognize the pattern of using favorite sizes.

• M.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

A few months later they sent me a few socket and wrench sets to test and report about. Then they produced them! Lol.

• 2 months ago

Trial and error

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Trial and error can round off head bolts. Only be flippant when fixing a barn door.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you have a manual or shop book it will have information on how to repair things and the sizes of the bolts and everything, but most regular folk don't have access to that, so you just try and see which one fits, you have to make sure it fits nice and isn't lose because one size higher could still fit but it isn't the right size and you don't want that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.