Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

should you really check your manual transmission's fluid level every 7500 miles like the Haynes manual recommends? why?

& replace the gear oil every 30,000 miles or 24 months?!? really does anyone really do that? why needed?

I have driven nearly 200,000 miles and never even checked the level. should I change it or not? why someone told me it is better left alone?

**Also the Haynes and Chilton manual says to check the level every 7500 miles for the differentials too. and if not level with the fill plug to add gear oil...but why would it leak or NEED to have any added?

IF LEAKING A BIT,,,WHAT TO DO THEN? HOW EXPENSIVE?

• Erik

Because if there's a leak, wouldn't you rather know about it before it wrecks your transmission? The last car I had, it gave me a warning by shifting rough. The current one, by the time I knew there was a problem, it was too late.

• Erik

It's a good idea to check all your fluids, at least 1-2 times per month. It only takes a few minutes.

Check the level and if it is black change it

Just check for any leaks.