Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesAustralia · 2 months ago

Tenant rights?

My landlord has a small structure on the same property as the house we are renting from him it’s literally 30 feet away from us . We can hear him and he can hear us Anyways he doesnt live there but comes for visits throughout the year and stays there . 

He always tells us he is on his way the day of sometimes he will text from the plane giving us 6 hour notice ! Does he have the right to do that? We’re in Hawaii ! 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • R P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

As long as that building is not included in your lease, you are most likely not entitled to any notice that the landlord will be there. You'll need to google and read Hawaii's landlord/tenant laws to find a definitive answer to your question.

Source(s): Florida landlord
  • 2 months ago

Sounds like a separate building at the same premises...and you do not rent the other building. I don't see why he would even need to contact you at all.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

He has every right. You are NOT renting the entire property, you are renting the house. He is under no obligation to tell you he is coming but he is being nice and doing so. If you don’t like it then you move.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

He has every right to go to his other house on his property. Who do you think you are to imply he doesn't? He doesn't even need to give you notice unless he's going in the structure you are residing in. He's being very polite to warn you of when he will be there. Yet you complain, and he's not even there that often. If you complain be prepared for him to ask you to move. I know I would.

• Four2 months agoReport

it's a question no need to get uppity about it ! just because they're called land lords doesn't make them lords ! my hard earned money is a blessing to him and his family and we are grateful for a place to live . the super close proximity is the issue ! 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

He does have that right, unless your lease states you have use of that structure, which is doubtful.

• 2 months ago

You rent the house; presumably this structure is separate to that.

• 2 months ago

Yes, he has the right. You were aware of this when you rented the place.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Probsbly. Your right to 24 hour notice is if he's coming into the house you're renting. Unless your lease says otherwise, he can do what he wants to with the other structure.

• 2 months ago

might not even need to give notice. he could have written the lease to exclude that area from your rental...and would have the right to access that area at any time. sounds like it is being used as a 2 family property...it sounds like he does live there as a 2nd home...

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes. 24 or 48 hours notice is required for admittance into your home. You are renting the house, not his property.

Source(s): I miss Makaha.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.