can you make delicious french toast without vanilla extract?

i cant afford vanilla extract, the prices are ridiculous. I know they have a great value version for a dollar at walmart but i tried it and it was digusting. mccormick and all those top brands are too expensive for my budget. i have cinamon ,sugar, honey, heavy whipping cream, and eggs and challah bread. will it still taste good without the vanilla?

• Lolly

I never use vanilla. I use eggs, milk and cinnamon. Then it's fried in butter and served with real maple syrup. I know where to splurge.

• denise

I dont use vanilla in my french toast, the cinnamon will give it flavor, a little nutmeg sprinkled into the egg mix also adds to the flavor.

A little almond essence added to the egg mix is great when you have the toast with a cherry sauce.

All I ever used for French Toast was milk, bread & eggs.  Challah bead alone should make it delicious; I'd skip hre cream altogether, is unnecessary (& in my opinion, overkill).  

There are plenty of recipes online that don't use vanilla, so... yes you can.

get a french person any gender. so now you have a blender, blend the french, to multitask, put some toast in the toaster, and add some vanilla to the toast and put it inside in the toaster once both are done put it together and put it on a plate. bone apple teeth.

• WOOWHO

Can you make "DELICIOUS" french toast without VANILLA extract ?

perhaps the FOCUS is misplaced ..

. is a person making VANILLA FLAVORED toast or "French toast "

per research "FRENCH" toast is a dish made of sliced bread soaked in eggs and milk and fried .

.. ALTERNATE names are "Eggy bread " Bombay toast German toast Gypsy toast Poor Knights ( of Windsor ) Torrja and Arme Riddere the

FRENCH name PANE PERDU actually means "LOST BREAD " the use of STALE bread

The earliest known reference to French Toast is is in APICIUS a collection of LATIN dating recipes of the 4th & 5th century

described as Sliced White bread crust removed broken into large pieces dipped in milk and eggs fried and drizzled with HONEY actually i save myself time and money

the WOO WOO version of "FRENCH" toast the loaf of cinnamon raisin bread is getting dated

i use the SLICED CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD dipped in a mix of egg and milk and pan fried topped with a tab of BUTTER

You still need an umbrella (overarching) flavor. If you're serving it with fruit, use that flavor. If you live within driving distance of Big Lots/Odd Lots, check for imported pure vanilla extract there. As a last resort use Amaretto, or some almond flavoring.

I do not use vanilla either and my French Toast tastes just great.

I have seen recipes lately that use melted vanilla ice cream in place of the milk, sugar, eggs. Might want to try that next time you want French toast.

I've been making what I consider delicious French toast for almost 60 years and have yet to use vanilla in it. Or whipping cream. Or sugar or honey. Or cinnamon or challah bread.

I use milk, eggs, and whatever bread I happen to have around. I put butter and maple syrup on it once it's on the plate. If real maple syrup is too expensive, you can make your own quite acceptable substitute very cheaply with brown sugar, water, and maple flavouring.

Have you considered using a vanilla flavored almond milk?

But to answer your question, I imagine the taste difference would be minimal considering all the sweetness you seem to be adding.