zoie asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Was Friedrich Nietzsche a nihillist?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Because he saw no value in life.

He believed that there is no ultimate goal to living and thus all things' purpose is simply to stop existing.

I disagree with him though, I believe that a higher goal than that is to find meaning despite the delusion.

No matter how much of a fool you may seem, a life without purpose; serves no purpose, especially for "you"!

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i do not think so;as an existentiialist philosopher he valued the power of individualism (thus not a nihilist)

• 1 month ago

Yes. I think that's how that word got started, from existentialism coming from Nietzsche.

• Nunya
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

He wrote about nihilism in great detail but he always spoke against the evils of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, he was an iconoclast: he believed in himself (later, Himself ;-) as an Overcomer, an Overman like his heroes da Vinci and Goethe.

Due in good measure to his early childhood love of his Pastor father, who was inexplicably taken from him (and from his mother and younger brother), and then also due to a precognitive vision or dream which accurately predicted the inexplicable passing of his younger brother, the young and brilliant Friedrich, who previously had earned the nickname "the little Pastor" from his grammar school mates, due to his quoting the Scriptures to them, turned to philology, where he early became a star professor. Then he read Arthur Schopenhauer, who became a kind of "awakening him from his intellectual slumbers" father-figure guide to him (putting him in touch with his inner will-to-overcome), and Nietzsche then embarked on dissing herdly churchianity, finding some father figures such as Wagner, and then writing his own alter ego Zarathustra as tough love guru, before meekly following his mother around her house, he being dressed in finest white linen robes, and stating he was Christ and Buddha. Many strong values do not a nihilist make, and Nietzsche was not someone to illogically value having no values. A modern reprise to Nietzsche (who learned psychology by reading Dostoevsky) is Abraham Maslow: a general or basic plan of how self-actualizers or overcomers do it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o...

• 2 months ago

He's the poster child for Nihilism.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.