Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Can police arrest a person for a failed suicide attempt?

No.....,..........

I don't think so, but at law, I think they'd just send them to a sort of rehab place.

• Bruce

Suicide is not illegal anywhere in the US. It is considered a medical issue, not a legal one.

If you are unsuccessful, you will be taken into protective custody and delivered to a secure mental health facility until the doctor determines you are no longer a danger to yourself. In my state, they can not hold you more than 72 hours without a court hearing.

For those that claim it is illegal. I challenge them to post a link to the law that prohibits it.

• Bruce

I refer you to the question... "for those that claim it is illegal, I challenge them to post a link to the law that prohibits it". I don't see your link, nor will I. Because there is none.

No, not a good idea when they'd be able to kill themselves in prison. If you made an attempt and they think you were serious then they can have you put in hospital, rather refer you to the people who can arrange this.

Technically, it is a crime in EVERY US state.

Practically, they NEVER charge anyone with attempted suicide, but they do take you into custody for psychiatric evaluation.

i dont think so

suicide is illegal. Don't think they could get the death penalty for it, but maybe in some redneck state it's possible...

No, but they will try and get you some help.

No. They can only arrest you for a successful attempt.

Yes, suicide is indeed illegal....