Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Is it considered illegal to go into a place and film their elevator without their permission?

So I'm an elevator enthusiast and I film and document elevators and upload them to youtube. One of the places that I film at are hospitals and I film the elevators in hospitals, but I do it discreetly and only film when no one is in the elevator with me. I do this to avoid getting people in the shot. I got told by people that it is illegal to do this and says that I can get arrested for it. I don't get how though as it is not hurting anyone. Is it really considered illegal to do this like people claimed ? I just don't really get how it is illegal.

i would ask permission first so you dont get arrested

• Jacob4 weeks agoReport

Why would I ? Then I will just get a no. You seem not to be so intelligent.

I don't know WHERE you are. If it's NOT a public place, if there are "no trespassing" signs, yes, it's illegal.

Why even ask? If you go into an elevator alone and take a picture who is going to know where you took the picture?

• If it's a public building (with public access to the elevator) - then: no.

If it's a private building that you need permission to enter

or if there are signs posted forbidding filming inside the building

then: yes, it is

#1 - trespassing if it is a private building

#2 - (possibly) violation of privacy if photography is forbidden