Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 3 weeks ago

Can you tint eye glass lenses that are already made? ?

Hello:

Is it possible to have a 'current/existing' pair of clear prescription eyeglass lenses tinted, to make them sunglasses?

I have asked at a few eye wear stores and no one is able to do this. I am assuming they simply don't want to bother with it.

If this is possible, can anyone tell me a location in the Dallas, TX area that can do this? Or perhaps a mail-order location?

These are not plastic lenses and I have tried the DIY with ritz method, with no luck.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Probably not. If they were CR-39, the old kind of plastic, it would be possible but probably not a good idea. Tint tends to show up scratches very much. If your lenses are poly or high index, they don't tend to tint well even when new. I believe they have to use lenses with different coatings to get them to tint.

It probably has to be a store that cuts and coats their own lenses. If they send them out it probably can't be done.