Should I negotiate my offer or take the success and proceed to the next job offer?

I have been offered a job as an entry level IT help desk, but the pay is much lower than I expected, nearly 10K lower than the min for my area. I've been in IT for 20 years ranging from inbound call center support to CMS and entry level server side support. So, should I try to negotiate for better pay/compensation? If so, what tactics can I use without seeming money centric or should I just take this offer as a successful evaluation of my talents and keep job hunting for a more lucrative position?

I would ask for more money. Use your experience to convince them that you will run things smoothly on day one. The worst that can happen is they tell you no. As far as continuing your search I would do that until you actually start working somewhere.

Take the offer & ask for more money @ your yearly review.  Why are you still doing entry level after 20 years??  Do you not have a 4 year comp sci degree??  

I have a comp sci degree.  Don't recall what I was making or doing after 20 years, but I'm sure it wasn't entry level.

• John

That you have been in IT for 20 years, list 3 that are not particulary illustrioius, and are applying for an entry level position after all that makes me wonder why myself. I know that tech people "climb the ladder" but here you are.

• q4 weeks agoReport

I appreciate your honesty and all, but a lot has to do with aspects out of my own control. Company going down, department being dissolved, etc... so I had to start over each time ultimately. I'm not proud of all my past, but it's legit experience so that doesn't mean I should have to take crumbs.

• martin

Take the offer. The company may realize they are offering below par, and may try to make up for it with perks and leniency that you won't find elsewhere. There's more to life than accumulating wealth.

• q4 weeks agoReport

True and that's something I'm willing to consider, but my issue is that the initial offer isn't sub-par. It's not even on the scale. Indeed, Glassdoor, Ziprecruiter, Salary.com all say the lowest is about 3 to 4K more than what I'm being offered with an average around 13K more than the offer.