Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

My parents dont approve of my SO?

My mom came to know about the person I'm in a relationship with but she doesn't approve because he does not have a degree and is instead working a full-time job, he is 20 and im 18. I really dont know how to convince her. She claims that we dont share the same "status". I really like this person and want to marry them.

My bad, I misworded it, I meant to say that she does not like the fact that he is not pursuing a degree.

This made sense until the very end when you said you want to marry him. Are you sure this isn't their main objection? No sane parent wants to hear an 18 year old talk about marriage.

Also, I assume you still live at home and are financially dependent on them. Almost all 18 year olds are. And this means people telling you you can do what you want are wrong.

The only thing I can come up with is stop talking about him to them. That's what friends are for. If they bring him up, just shrug and say things are fine or ok. If they get the sense you're losing interest, they'll back off.

Why do you have to convince her?

• dman63

That’s her problem. Plenty of people are successful without a degree, and at 20 he has plenty of time and opportunity to pursue higher education. He can also go to school part-time while he works, and some employers will chip in for education. Your mom needs to back off.

thats your mom's problem, i would keep dating him

• Damien

are both of u stupid? no one can get a degree as early age 20. or are u calling a high school diploma a degree

There comes a time in life when you have to start making your own choices. Maybe she's right, maybe she isn't-- but you're 18 and need to find that out for yourself

• g

Okay. And is their approval required?

• g

Not at all. The questioner said they don't approve, and that she plans to marry him. One cannot change other people.