Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

bloody scabs all over my dog's body?

my dog has bloody scabs on his neck and back. he keeps scratching at it. it looks so painful.. we went to the vet and they gave us a betagen spray but it doesnt do much for him. if anyone has had a similar issue with their dog or knows how to treat this, please let me know. we are considering putting him to sleep because we can't stand seeing him suffer. our vet doesnt even know why this is happening and we are struggling with financial issues so we cant go to a better vet. please help. anything helps.

• Ron

By some booties for his feet and cut a t shirt to fit so he cant get to them. And find a different vet. You put a dog down because of you and your vets incompetence and I will visit you in the night

Your vet probably "doesn't know what's happening" because you won't pay for further diagnostics due to your "financial issues". Skin issues are common with dogs and have a large range of causes and treatments. Cut expenses somewhere and take care of your SUFFERING animal.

I need some more information before I can make any suggestions. But before I get into that, you do have the option of surrendering the dog to a shelter if you truly can't afford treatment. Depending on your situation and what is causing the issue it may be the most humane option.

1. You said the vet gave you betagen spray. This is used for superficial bacterial skin infections. Did your vet do any diagnostic testing like skin scraping? If so, did they provide you with an actual diagnosis or cause of his problems? If you opted out of diagnostic testing due to the cost please tell me, it's important to know if the vet found a cause or ruled anything out.

2. Is he on flea and tick prevention?

3. Is there any pus or discharge from his scabs?

I'd be at another Vet's office getting a second opinion. I ended up taking my dog to a Veterinarian who specializes in allergies.

• Bob

get some good flea medicine from your vet and a steroid shot. might want to try benadryl too.