I'm a scotch beginner: does it pair well with bbq chicken?

Dewars, maybe if you have nothing else to drink.

Fine 12, 18, 21 or 25 year old Scotch is not swished with bbq food, beer would do that, if not a Pepsi.

• blank

Yeah it does. It is fine.

As a long time Scotch drinker, I'm a little taken aback by your question. I have sipped Scotch and soda with hors d'oeuvres, or the appetizers offered in a restaurant, I have not yet considered it a meal beverage. Beer, of course, pairs well with BBQ, and I guess a case might be made for a hearty wine (Barbara?) but drinking a cocktail with dinner is beyond my experience. It does, however, pair well with oysters Rockefeller.

• Huh?

No, if you're eating BBQ chicken you want to drink something that cleanses the palate and cuts through the flavour of the sauce. I'd recommend a blond beer or lager like Pilsner Urquell, or maybe a red wine like Zinfandel or Primitivo.

It can be great, but it can also be a disaster. The problem with scotch is that the flavors can be Wildly different. The kind I like is widely regarded as toxic (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) but others like sweet and fruity varieties. And now there's a trend - which I decline to buy - of aging scotch in old port barrels.  Here is the briefest of thumbnail sketches https://vinepair.com/articles/single-malt-scotch-w...   I would be inclined to suggest one of those specially casked Glenmorangie  expressions. And this would be a good time to make friends with a knowledgeable whiskey merchants.

• Speed

I wouldn't drink scotch with that. The taste of the barbecue sauce doesn't complement the scotch at all.

Generally, you don't serve hard liquor with a meal but before and/or after.