ctc453
ctc453 asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 2 months ago

I'm a scotch beginner: does it pair well with bbq chicken?

• blank

Yeah it does. It is fine.

As a long time Scotch drinker, I'm a little taken aback by your question. I have sipped Scotch and soda with hors d'oeuvres, or the appetizers offered in a restaurant, I have not yet considered it a meal beverage. Beer, of course, pairs well with BBQ, and I guess a case might be made for a hearty wine (Barbara?) but drinking a cocktail with dinner is beyond my experience. It does, however, pair well with oysters Rockefeller.

• Huh?

No, if you're eating BBQ chicken you want to drink something that cleanses the palate and cuts through the flavour of the sauce. I'd recommend a blond beer or lager like Pilsner Urquell, or maybe a red wine like Zinfandel or Primitivo.

It can be great, but it can also be a disaster. The problem with scotch is that the flavors can be Wildly different. The kind I like is widely regarded as toxic (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) but others like sweet and fruity varieties. And now there's a trend - which I decline to buy - of aging scotch in old port barrels.  Here is the briefest of thumbnail sketches https://vinepair.com/articles/single-malt-scotch-w...   I would be inclined to suggest one of those specially casked Glenmorangie  expressions. And this would be a good time to make friends with a knowledgeable whiskey merchants.

• Speed

I wouldn't drink scotch with that. The taste of the barbecue sauce doesn't complement the scotch at all.

Generally, you don't serve hard liquor with a meal but before and/or after.