Is it rude to take pictures of the USS Arizona Memorial?

Hi, my name is Charly Dat Duc Lai and I never went to Pearl Harbor before, which is located in Hawaii. The largest military base on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. Since that we know that the base was attacked by Japanese military aircraft, suddenly the US Navy battleship USS Arizona took 2 falling aircraft bombs, one in the ammunition room and one room in the engine room which has destroyed the ship completely, causing it to sink with over 1,170 Navy sailors onboard going down with it. I remember watching Pearl Harbor the movie, it was quite sad based on many American Military members died at the Pearl Harbor. I heard that it is very rude and disrespectful to take pictures of the USS Arizona Memorial, but I wonder if it is true or not because there are lots of pictures of the USS Arizona all over the internet. I never went to Hawaii before, so I don’t really know much about it. But some friends of mine have visited Pearl Harbor when they went to Hawaii. A friend of mine who was in the US Navy, visited Pearl Harbor, he was allowed to enter Pearl Harbor because he showed his military ID, he was a combat medic from the US Navy Hospital Corps, which is a military medical unit. He got to see the USS Arizona Memorial when he went to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. He returned from his trip to Hawaii and told me about the saddest sight in Hawaii and that it is quite very rude and disrespectful to take pictures of the USS Arizona Memorial.

Many of the pictures you see were taken before the idea that it was disrespectful to the fallen was made standard. Respect your elders who served.

No, it is not rude nor disrespectful at all to take a picture of the USS Arizona Memorial. However, do not take a picture or use the phone while you are in the theater for the presentation (before taking the boat to the site of the USS Arizona Memorial). 

Also, keep in mind that you are on an active military base; do not just, nonchalantly, taking a picture of the base (Ex: don't take a picture while you are on the bus that takes you to from the visitor center to the USS Missouri or the Aviation Museum). 

If you planned to visit, make sure to get there early, since the parking lot at the visitor center can get filled up quite quickly. 

I was just at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial yesterday.

The Arizona is a tourist attraction, (for lack of a better description) open to ALL, and receives visitors from around the word. I can assure you...........millions of camera happy tourists have taken BILLIONS of pictures around the memorial. I am sure I have some myself, somewhere, from my visit there..........(although to be honest, , actually, I don't recall any.......maybe I didn't take any.----or maybe my memory is simply failing me here)

In any case........what's important to remember, is that it *IS* a memorial, and sacred ground, and a graveyard of sorts of American Servicemen......so acting respectfully, is expected, and will be enforced, if you do anything clownish. It's not a place to act up and be loud or do anything buffoonish-

When I was there last, one of the things that struck me, was that oil *still* leaks from the ship..........to this day.

(or at least, last time I was there.----I imagine it will have to run out eventually)

There is a great film in the visitors center with all the historic, (and tragic) footage of the day.

• Weasel McWeasel

well, no way of knowing really, no idea it how much it was storing when it was sunk, and no idea how much has already leaked out, and how much is left. Pure guesswork.

No, it's not rude.

The men that served on the USS Arizona would appreciate that you came by to remember what happened on that horrible December day. Do not let their sacrifice be in vain.

I took craps on the USS Arizona Memorial

No it's not rude to take pictures at the memorial. But be respectful while there or the Park Rangers will let you know. You DO NOT need military ID to visit.

You do not need base access to visit the USS Arizona memorial. I toured while I was stationed there. It certainly is somber, and quiet to show respect, however pictures are certainly acceptable as long as you do not create a disruption for others.

• Charly Dat4 weeks agoReport

I mean that he entered the main military facility to help out with medical stuff, but however, yes he did visit the USS Arizona Memorial to pay his tribute to the sailors that served onboard.

I've never heard of such a thing, and it doesn't make much sense that it would be the case, in America we generally don't follow rules such as this,

Those giving me a thumbsdown possibly don't realize the unwritten rules in other countries, rules we don't follow in this country, there are places where you are asked not to take pictures for purposes of "respect", in America we don't view taking pictures as disrespectful