Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Should there be a law that you can't profit from your crimes, even overseas crimes?

One of the Peru drug mules has a book coming out 

Update:

Squidmaster. I'm talking about the UK. She is British and her book is coming out in the UK!!!

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The laws are actually causing a raise of cost on crime - i.e. criminal has to pay more in order to gamble for their success.

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

In Britain there is an Act of Parliament designed to confiscate any significant proceeds of crime when they are identified. I do not know about laws in other countries.

• 4 weeks ago

There is that law in Britain, if you can't explain and prove where an amount more than £1,000 came from then it can be confiscated, even if you are not convicted of anything, it can be taken on suspicion. If it's legit then you should be able to say how you got it. It's not perfect, a lot will go undetected still but I don't see what else can be done. Writing a book isn't a crime, selling a book isn't a crime, money confiscated has to be from doing something illegal or you can't prove how you got it. If you are writing about a crime you did and have paid for the crime already, then where is the crime in writing about it? Nobody has to buy it.

• 1 month ago

In Australia, they already have such a law if you cannot prove it was earned legally the Government can take your home

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I thought that there already was a Law to stop people profiting from crime.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, there should.

• 1 month ago

Depends on the crime, drug muleing may be technically a crime but morally the bigger crime is preventing people consuming what they wish to consume, therefore he was providing a service and should be able to speak about it.

• 1 month ago

We have CAB here in Ireland which confiscates the proceeds of crime over to the state

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

UK needs a "Son of Sam" law

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Different countries have different laws.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.