JPP
JPP asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 3 weeks ago

Sometimes when I go to Sobeys, they don't add tax to the groceries items that I buy. Does anyone know why?

Not complaining by any means, lolz :)

Just wondering why :)

i would ask them this question

• JPP

Yup, think I'll have to do that next time I go there, just thought Id see if I could find the answer here or somewhere online, wish I noticed it at the time, but no dice, oh well :)

• RICK

Groceries are tax free in many states

In my state the only thing that gets taxed at the grocery store are snacks, ready to eat food and non food items

• denise

Some groceries which are considered 'essential' dont get taxed.

.....................

Some things you buy in a grocery store are taxable, and some are not. That seems the most logical explanation. Without knowing what you're buying each time and whether or not it gets taxed each time, it's hard to say much else.

Cuz they hack into ur bank account and get the money from there when u don't notice it so that they can get more money

Source(s): Mah BIG BRAIN

were you buying liquor?

• KaleyK

Taxes are invoked by law, so to get an accurate answer to your question, we will need to know your jurisdiction. In general, grocery items like food are not subject to sales tax. Grocery store purchases of paper towels, kitchen cleaners, etc are taxable.