JPP
Lv 5
JPP asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 3 weeks ago

Sometimes when I go to Sobeys, they don't add tax to the groceries items that I buy. Does anyone know why?

Not complaining by any means, lolz :)

Just wondering why :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

i would ask them this question

• JPP
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

Yup, think I'll have to do that next time I go there, just thought Id see if I could find the answer here or somewhere online, wish I noticed it at the time, but no dice, oh well :)

• RICK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Groceries are tax free in many states

In my state the only thing that gets taxed at the grocery store are snacks, ready to eat food and non food items

• denise
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Some groceries which are considered 'essential' dont get taxed.

• 3 weeks ago

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Some things you buy in a grocery store are taxable, and some are not. That seems the most logical explanation. Without knowing what you're buying each time and whether or not it gets taxed each time, it's hard to say much else.

• 3 weeks ago

Cuz they hack into ur bank account and get the money from there when u don't notice it so that they can get more money

Source(s): Mah BIG BRAIN
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

were you buying liquor?

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Taxes are invoked by law, so to get an accurate answer to your question, we will need to know your jurisdiction. In general, grocery items like food are not subject to sales tax. Grocery store purchases of paper towels, kitchen cleaners, etc are taxable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.