Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Law and Ethics. Can a parent get Into legal trouble if they permit their 15 year old child to invite his 15 year old friends to their House ?

For a religious ceremony and their child serves Alcohol to his 15 year old friends

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

In states that permit minors to consume alcohol with parental permission, the parents must be present at the time. That means EVERY 15 year old that consumes alcohol would have to have THEIR parents present during the entire event. Even then, it isn't legal in all states.

• 2 months ago

Yes the those parents could have some serious legal problems if 15 year olds are being served alcohol at their house even if the 15 year old child of the parents does the serving.

• 2 months ago

Yes, they can. In 31 states, alcohol can be served to minors on private property for religious ceremonies OR with parental consent.

In the other nineteen, that is illegal.

• Bruce
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not correct. You need to dig deeper. The law may not apply to minors who are not family members.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

50 states, 50 different laws. Some states have religious exemptions, some don't. Those exemptions may apply to just family members. For example, Arizona says "religious ceremony in a church". It would not apply to home. Deleware says "members of the family in the home". Wisconsin and New York requires the parent to be present.

Those are the only ones I'm familiar with.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes. The parents are responsible for what happens in their house.

• 2 months ago

not if noone knows about it, i grew up in a jewish home and on the holidays we'd have some wine but my parents never got in trouble for it, as long as theyre not getting drunk i dont see a problem with it

• Judith
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

You have just advised someone to break the law because YOUR parents broke the law. Before you post answers to legal questions, here's a thought. Educate yourself.

• 2 months ago

Missing info: parental permission? You don't say.

• 2 months ago

The laws about under age drinking vary by state. There was another question nearly identical to this asked about NY. In NY, a minor can consume alcohol with parental consent in a private home. You can find the laws for your state here: https://drinkingage.procon.org/states-that-allow-u...

Answers like "Yes, it is illegal to give minors booze, religious or not." clearly have not read the laws and probably should not be answering law questions.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In my country a parent can serve alcohol to their 15 year old child in their home, but can't serve alcohol to someone else's child.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, it is illegal to give minors booze, religious or not. But during a religious event it is often overlooked in families. Giving it to the kids friends without any parental notice or consent. I believe is going to be an issue.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.