Ending a Short Term Tenancy Agreement Early?

I moved into a house share property on 11th October this year - the contract is a 6 month contract.

I have encountered issues with one particular individual from the moment we all moved in and have tried to address this professionally and amicably however, I am constantly being made to feel uneasy and uncomfortable with the way I am being treated. 

It's got that petty that this person is refusing to provide me with the wifi details (as the modem is in this person's room) due the fact they think I have 'stolen' one of their glasses... I am a 27 year old professional and require to work from home twice per week as part of my job. 

Of course, I have spoken with the lettings agents and they have asked numerous times for this person to bring the details to the communal area for everyone to use. 

I am assuming that they other guy who lives here (that gets on very well with this individual has been given these details in confidence)

Regardless of whether this situation gets sorted out I would much rather find somewhere brand new - I don't particularly want to live somewhere for the next 6 months where I feel intimidated and that I can't properly use the communal areas. 

What are my options? 

Read your lease. Your options will be on it.

• Maxi

You are bound by the legal contract, if it states early termination, it will state terms of that, if not then you have to ask the letting agent... UK 'generally' you would lose your deposit and have to move out and pay each months rent until a new tenant was found, in and paying or the end of your contract whichever is sooner

Buy a MiFi. Smarty (for instance) do an unlimited data Sim for 25/month, on a no contract deal. Some people are simply nutters.

You signed a contract. You are bound by the terms and conditions of it, unless there is an early termination clause - either a breaking the lease penalty or subleasing to someone. I suggest you tell the letting agent, in person, that you do some of your work from home and with no wifi, it is costing you money. Tell him you don't want to have to sue the immature jerk of a roommate and you don't want to have to hire a solicitor to rock the boat more but, you cannot go on like this and they need to insist that this jerk do what he was told or be evicted. It is not his modem. The use of it belongs to ALL of the tenants in the house.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Girlie Electrics

There's NOTHING to indicate that the Wifi is part of the rental contract. The agnets cannot force him to share if they are not the ones on the contract supplying it.

• G R

Read your lease. Odds are you will have to pay a find and or balance of your lease or find someone to take your place provided you are allowed to sublet it. If you can't afford yet to live on your own, moving in with someone else will have a different set of issues. It sounds to me that the only thing that is bothering you is that you aren't having access to the wifi, if that is the case suck it up for five and half more months. You will be out of there before you know it. It isn't the landlords problem or responsibility to solve your personal or living problems. If you are not being given to WIFI i hope that you are NOT contributing towards your bills.

Get your own wifi service, have you bothered to check on that?

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-have-two-d...

The other answers, some of them, are just being funny buggers as they do on here. You can negotiate with the landlord whatever the lease says, they can relax terms if you ask, they might not let you or they might.

• Judy

Read your lease, and see if it says anything about early termination requirements - if not, ask the agent. Then decide whether whatever the penalty is, is worth it to leave early.

maybe you should move out then

Read your lease🎃

We do not have access to the contract you signed, nor did you bother to tell us where you live so we have no clue what laws may apply.

Have you read your contract? Start there.

ETA: If there is no early termination clause, then there isn't one. Period.

The purpose of a contract is so that both parties know what is required of them. You can't just void the lease because you don't get along with your roommate.

If you break the lease, then UK law will take over where the lease ends.

• Josie3 weeks agoReport

It literally makes no sense to me? Hence why I'm asking - there's nothing at all that mentions the implications of surrendering early... I am from the UK