Would I be expected to quit my job in these circumstances?

I have 2 kids aged 4 and 7 and lost my husband to cancer in the summer. I work part time 2 long days a week and my in laws have always picked up the kids from school/nursery. They’ve gone rapidly downhill since their son died and the school my kids go to has no afternoon childcare provision. The school is their only social circle and after what we’ve been through, I cannot face moving them to another school. Work (public sector) are being very difficult about me finishing 2.30 as opposed to 5pm

Have a loving talk with your inlaws. Do they know how much they are needed? That their sweet grandchildren are COUNTING on them? You need MORE work, not less. Could be, even though you don't like it, that you need the time to find a job with more hours and child care. Or find a child care program through a church in your town that offers free/reduced child care for single parent families. I get that you want as little to change as possible but when what is.. doesn't work (!) anymore, change need happen.

you need to explain it more so we can answer you

• Kaz

We would require more information, specifically - what ARE the "circumstances?"