Is it rude to politely ask someone to be quiet?

Might as well get in on this too.

• Dv8s

No matter how nice you try to be, it could be misconstrued as rude. Nonetheless, it's not as rude as the loud one, and generally, once provoked, the volume will only increase.

It isn't if you ask politely, if they get offended by it then it's due to their own insecurity

No it is not rude mate

• Daisy

I do this everyday- I work in a library. I have to tell adults (especially) to lower their voices. Some get very annoyed. Then, I add "After all, this IS a library!" I usually wait to see if they finish their conversation and move on. Most of the time, they don t. They just keep it - and they re sitting right next to each other!

• Ben Idorm4 weeks agoReport

Cheers Daisy, not shuttup, after all this IS yahoo answers. FFS

Edit: you are gay.

Just leave people the f alone. Are you a cop, Are they in an Intensive Care Unit shouting at each other. If its 'no' to both, mind your own business and live your own life

I stopped at the donut place on my way to church on Sunday morning, and horror, parked in front to pick up my coffee I ordered on the app, how many f'ing idiots are yelling and screaming, hey you cant park there! I'm inside for less than 5 seconds and not blockng traffic, but idiots can't figure out how to drive aroudn a parked car.

Just mind your own business and leave people alone.

• Ben Idorm4 weeks agoReport

Lisa, beb. If only you knew. We've been through, butlers, binmen, nonces, cowboys, professional singers... it goes on. 
      But as you're one of the few to spot that we are completely taking the piss. I'll share with you a secret that i won't post on here again......
      shut the **** up Lisa. 

It depends on the circumstances, and should always be done in a polite way.  It's wrong to tell someone to be quiet just because you don't like what they're saying.  It's wrong to tell someone to be quiet by saying "Shut up!", "Shut your mouth" or similar phrases.

It's OK when someone is being loud where they shouldn't be, like in a theater during a movie.  Say something like "Quiet, please" or simply "Shhhh."  

I went in a fast food restaurant recently when there were no other customers and the employees had music blaring very loud.  I just stared at an employee and put my hands over my ears.  They turned down the music with no words being spoken.

depends on why youre asking them

Context, please.

• Vicki

No? I think it's fine. It just depends where you are. If you're in a very public space where they have the right, it's not rude. It's just uncommon and will likely be ignored.

But let's say for example I have this train, and between 3-6 pm the upper part is deemed "The quiet zone". During these hours you are required to be quiet, or move downstairs. Now if you have someone being obnoxious and loud here, then no it's also not rude. And yes, you likely should ask.

If the noisy person is causing you, or anybody, some disturbance, then, no, it isn't rude to ask them to be quiet.

• Ben Idorm4 weeks agoReport

Lad, you are causing me disturbance.........

SO SHUT YER TRAP!