Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 months ago

Can I embarrass myself if I travel to the U.S. without speaking English right?

I know basic words like "Good Morning" "Thank You" "Gorgeous Man" "I would like to buy an iPhone" "I find this place beautiful". I do not know how to keep the dialogue, will use my smartphone to translate, will be a good option

I do hope this isn't a serious question.

• John P

In any English-speaking country, especially the USA and Britain, you will find native users in any particular district using some expressions which other native users in different districts find hard to understand. Indeed personally I would avoid using "gorgeous man" until you know that man very well!

As long as you have learned basic English you will be understood almost anywhere in the USA.

Possibly, but it won't be your fault. Some Americans are very chauvinistic about their language, but most aren't.

Some people think they know a little English but do not pronounce words correctly and I have difficulty understanding them. You might have trouble with words having more than one meaning. It would be good if you could get somebody to translate.

we have a lot of travelers in America it shouldn't be embarrassing for you.

If you can say "yes or no" it means you are good to go.   There are more people who dont speak english who currently live in the US.     Of course, if they stare at you, just say....  "sorry no english no english with your head bowing down"....

You may have a tough time. There is no need for the phrase 'Gorgeous Man' unless you plan to frequent gay bars.