Law & Ethics: Is it legal to pet elephants in US, like we do here in India?

There aren't many elephants here. They're usually seen in zoos and most times you can't get near enough to pet them. I saw one at a festival where they offered rides on the elephant's back, so that one must have been very tame. For that reason, I would say it's legal to pet them.

• `

They'll let you pet the elephant's abdomen for a bag of peanuts.

• Diana

I don't know, but when I was a little kid I handed a carrot to a zoo elephant and got scolded for it.

There are special kinds of elephant refuges in the US where one can pay to get up close and personal with such animals. But in the standard zoo set up the patrons can't get anywhere near the exhibits.

when would this even apply to you?

• Jenny

Sure, if you happen to be in an environment where petting an elephant is possible. We don't have wild elephants, so our only contact is zoo's, circuses and such and typically, no one but the staff has access to the animals.

its not illegal to pet anything