Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Can I lose weight when pregnant? ?

I’ve put on almost a stone and I’m only 3 months pregnant, I’m just going into being overweight now and have a long way to go, I’m really worried I’m going to be hugely obese by the end of my pregnancy, can I actually lose weight whilst being pregnant? 

I’m not going to starve myself or anything silly and I take daily vitamins like I’m supposed to. 

You're supposed to gain weight while pregnant. If you're concerned with the amount of weight, then talk to your doctor

That would be an excellent question for your doctor.

You should probably talk to your doctor about how you can limit anymore weight gain, don't think it would be a good idea to lose weight at this point, but you can surely limit how much more you gain.

• Suzy Q

You really need to discuss this with your midwife or doctor. If they agree you're gaining weight too rapidly, they'll usually ask you to try limiting your weight gain or to maintain your current weight. That's usually healthier than actually losing weight while pregnant.

They may refer you to a dietician, or you may ask to be referred. 

For most pregnant women, weight management is safer than any form of significant weight loss. Despite the benefits of having a lower BMI during pregnancy, losing weight isn't appropriate for all women. ... This is why most doctors don't recommend weight loss during pregnancy, unless you're significantly overweight.

Source(s): Medical news today