Joaquin Phoenix’s “Joker” film Mirrors Crispin Glover’s “Willard” film?

If you haven’t seen either movie, please watch them before reading on. Please watch them, too, before commenting!

Even just half an hour in, “Joker” already had a familiar sense about it to me. I recognized the tone of sadness and meekness while struggling to be happy to be the same as from the film “Willard.” For example: Both men have jobs they are good at but not appreciated for. They both live lonely lives with their mother’s to care for back home. They try to stay positive but life keeps getting them down, so they start to manipulate their surroundings to their advantage, using others to accomplish goals. Too timid yet to do anything with their own two hands. The people they care about most don’t share the same feelings. 

I don’t want to give too much away. But refresh yourself on the movies and tell me what you think. I find the idea very interesting, and am curious to see if anyone else had the same impression after viewing the two films.

Thanks for reading.

It has been a while since I saw Willard, but I do recall some similarities.

Both films do follow a template, about pushing a person too far and the consequences. 

I ought to watch Willard. I was told the Joker movie was similar to the movies: Falling Down, Taxi Driver, the King of Comedy, Fight Club -- though I personally haven't seen all these movies. Joaquin also played in another movie called "The Master" where his character was dealing with mental issues and trauma -- considering how he's portrayed a troubled person in past films, I can see why the director Todd Phillips wanted to use him.

• Rebel With A Cause

The King of Comedy (about a mentally ill comedian who idolizes a talk show host) is a very clear influence on Joker. I would see that one first.

Good, just like the lion king/kimba fiasco. Joker is overrated mess.