David
David asked in HealthOther - Health · 3 weeks ago

Does This Sound Like Influenza? Or Food Poisoning?

Sunday morning my wife and I prepared for worship services as normal. She put a pork roast in our crockpot on low before we left. I took her out for breakfast, church lasted about an hour and a half, we went grocery shopping and had coffee, returning four hours after we left. She turned up the heat on the crockpot, testing the roast with a meat thermometer and cooked for another hour.

The meat was tasty, but after about an hour my stomach starting doing flip-flops. Nausea but no vomiting with three episodes of diarrhea within four hours. Also some stomach cramps. This morning, I am having the save symptoms and wonder if the pork roast I ate might have been undercooked and caused my condition or if it might have been flu.

BTW, my wife ate the same food as I did and had no symptoms. The only thing we had differently all day is that my after church coffee was dark roast and hers was light roast.

Any informed ideas? And what can I do to get back to normal today so I can return to work tomorrow?

Food poisoning doesn't usually affect you that quickly. And since your wife ate the same food without any ill effects, it suggests that the pork roast was fine. It sounds like you have a gastrointestinal virus of some kind. They usually clear your system within 48 hours. Take some imodium (loperamide) for the diarrhea and see if that helps.

• Eva

If you both ate the same food and she's not sick, it's not food poisoning.

• Tavy

Stomach virus. Both of you would be ill if it was the pork.

Drink plenty and take Imodeum.

• Byrd

You do not have nausea and vomiting with I influenza but you do with gastritis. If it were food poisoning you BOTH would be sick. Obviously it's gastritis

• TeeM

Also drink as much water as you can after each episode, since diarrhea causes dehydration, leading to other problems

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

• David

Thanks for your concern. Yes, I'm being sure to stay hydrated. And my secretary can take care of the office today, so I can stay home and rest.