Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why is my BF uptight at receiving gifts?

I bought my BF a sweater but he said he doesn't do that in his household. He said he'll only accept gifts when it is serious (meaning both families agree that relationship can become more). We've dated for 2 months. Is he reasonable? Or does this mean we will not have a future together?

The six months + six months rule is a good guide.

Date casually (not exclusive) for six months. During that time be as relaxed as possible about the relationship so that you can get to know one another. Families should not be involved.

If you still get butterflies from one another at the end of that time, agree to go exclusive. You could exchange birthday and Christmas presents but keep them small and jokey.

If at the end of this second six months, you still think he is The One and he feels the same way about you, it is time to talk commitment and marriage. That would be the time to involve families, children or anyone who might be important.

His family seems a little uptight. But two months is nothing and if he's still so young he's living with his parents they're probably right to discourage this premature romance. Such things can be very distracting from the education he's supposed to be focusing on.

• Mike

The rule of thumb I remember was you didn't buy clothing until the relationship had evolved into more than casual.

• `

You have to remember that if you get serious, that he will always do what his family says. You'll always be second in this relationship and his family will come first. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

I think he is being foolish. Everyone should courteously accept gifts if only to help the giver. "It is better to give than to receive" someone once said. His weirdness is something for you to keep in mind.

You've dated for TWO months?

AND you bought him a sweater?

You brazen HUSSY!

Have you NO shame?

Dump this idiot! Right NOW!

I don't know bro. Maybe don't gift him stuff....