Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Why do people still get married in 2019?

My parents never married and they were as happy as they could be until cancer took my mom away from us.

A lot of people need the tax breaks and can't afford the thousands it costs to set up a legal domestic partnership. Marrying is a cheaper way to make sure everyone is protected. Hopefully your mom did all the paperwork to make your dad her legal next of kin (because if she didn't he likely lost a lot of money in probate trying to manage her estate).

Yeah, that's nuts. Marriage is the foundation of society - it has legal, financial, emotional things behind it. It creates stability that just living together can't give.

#1, marriages bring riches to families. A couple that makes 150k a year, can be rich in retirement.

#2, children brought into a marriage has custody imbeded in it. There is no question who the parents are, what the family unit is. that gives again, stability that just living together doesn't have.

#3 legal rights and inheritence are imbeded in marriage. If a husband dies, everything goes to the wife. There is no question, questions that are there if 2 people are just living there.

I heard this story that this couple loved and lived together. He was in a horrible motorcycle accident, ICU. She had no rights to be with him because they were not married. His parents and siblings went into the ICU to visit him. They never liked her, wouldn't let her in. He was finally pulled off life support and died, because his parents pulled the plug. Again, his gf had no rights, no say. Becuase marriage gives rights and powers that people don't think about.

• KTJoe

Marriage is the ultimate show of "I love you" a couple can share, people want children within a cohesive family unit, marriage ain't going nowhere that's for sure.

I am not getting married in 2019.

I was married in the 70's.

Tradition. It's what society expects, so it's what they do. Most people dont know what they're doing in life, wo the work from the most widely used template.

so how much tax money did your pap pay for inheriting your mom's share? or u re poor as church rats? my husband and I got married because of tax on inheritance - we re not poor

• Suzy Q

Marriage settles a lot of legal issues (including inheritance and parental rights) in one go, more easily and cheaply than making separate arrangements, and you get to throw a big party celebrating your union. 

Happiness can be as easy as not getting married. Marriage makes a couple feel more trapped with each other. Many who get married aren't up to what marriage really means.