Is this a normal progression or is this very strange?

I wrote my resume for my professor in early 2019 and it took me over 9 hours and I did a very weird job

I wrote a totally new resume today and it took me 30 minutes

And I think the new resume is better than the old

When I first started University - I would spend over 10 hours doing homework for each course and I got D's

When I was in my last year of University - I spent 2-4 hours doing homework for each course and I got perfect A's

It's a bit strange but it is what it is

It would seem from your description that you were rather slow at getting your whatsits together & becoming more effective and efficient with your studies. You should have developed good study habits by the time you were in high school.

As for the resume, it's a learning process like everything else. You need to study how to do it - plenty of books available on how to write an excellent resume and how to write cover letters to current employer standards. First drafts are usually inadequate-to-terrible, and better the second time around.

So it seems your on the spur of the moment thoughts are usually the correct ones rather than when you go back and change things over