Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

did any dictators have any close family members killed/ executed -apart from Kim Il Jung ?

What about Stalin foe example

10 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Partly it depends on how you define "dictator". Some Roman emperors were fairly brutal towards some family members.

I think that Mussolini had his son-in-law executed.

• 4 weeks ago

Many of the Ottoman Sultans had family members killed. So did quite a few English kings and queens. And many other countries' dictators, I'm sure.

• 4 weeks ago

Stalin's son, Yakov, a low-ranking officer in the Soviet Army, was captured by the Germans in 1941. Later, after the Battle of Stalingrad, the Germans offered to exchange Yakov for Field Marshall Paulus, the commander of the German armies captured at Stalingrad. Stalin refused and reportedly said I will not exchange a Field Marshall for a Lieutenant. The Germans then sent Yakov to a concentration camp and he was eventually shot and killed.

• 4 weeks ago

There's speculation that Stalin shot his wife. The circumstances leading up to her death are murky. There have been a slew of dictators in Africa who may have killed family members - Idi Amin was a notorious murderer and sadist.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Sharon
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Stalin had an aviator son who was shot down during WW2

• 4 weeks ago

Here's an ambiguity in the English language: 'Did any dictators have close family members killed?' can mean EITHER 'Did any dictators order the deaths of any family members?' OR 'Did it happen that any dictator's close family members were somehow killed?'

"She had her car stolen" = she hired someone to steal it.

"She had her car stolen" = somebody stole her car.

• 4 weeks ago

It was law in the Ottoman Empire -  Mehmed the Conqueror's Law of Fratricide states: "Whichever of my sons inherits the sultanate, it behoves him to kill his brothers in the interest of world order". 

• 4 weeks ago

It is VERY likely that Stalin killed his second wife, although the official story was that she suddenly died of appendicitis following arguing with her husband publicly.

• 4 weeks ago

Saddam Hussein had his son-in-law (who was also his second cousin) executed.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Stalin did, and so did sadam hussain

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.