Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 7 months ago

Why do people hate taking medicine, especially if it makes them feel better?

It is likely due to the side effects the medicine may have. it could also be because the person may not like the particular flavoring or even if it's a larger pill and the person doesn't want to swallow a large pill because the person may be afraid of choking. Also think of the patients that have to take medications for a chronic disease and how often the medication is needed.

• Lila

For me I don't like taking my medication because of the side effects. In some ways I would rather be sick than live with the side effects of the medication used to treat the condition I have.

There are many possible reasons. Some people are simply against the idea of using man-made chemicals in the body. Some people do not like the delivery process (the meds taste bad, or they have to have injections, or whatever). Some people don't like the effects that come along with the meds beyond the part that "makes them feel better". Painkillers stop pain but tend to muck up thinking, for example, or over-the-counter meds mess up people's stomach. It is why I don't take Advil. Gives me stomach pain and problems.

So, there are lots of reasons, and every has their own particular reasons. Mostly, though, it is simply a matter of cost versus benefit: do I get more relief or more problem from taking the meds?

• TedEx

It doesn't bother me. I'd rather take something that prevents a major health problem than to HAVE a major health problem.

True, some meds DO have undesirable side effects but if that happens you should notify your doctor

They don't hate medicine, they're just cautious because the government may be using biological warfare against them. Like they did with the Natives.

Most medicines have undesirable side effects.

And while they may be effective, if the condition is a chronic one and the medicine has to be taken over a long period of time, they may become less effective and would require dosage adjustment.

• Some medicine has terrible side effects; e.g. A pill to help someone sleep can make them feel lethargic, unmotivated or sick throughout the day. Different types of drugs can have adverse affects on differing people, not all of which are pleasant.