Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

How should I handle this social situation?  I think I might have come off as rude or stuck up when in reality, I did not hear a question...?

2 new girls at school (college) spoke to my friend and me.  We are all girls.  When we parted ways, I told the 2 new girls:  "Really nice to have met you." My friend later texted me and asked "why were u so rude?" I was baffled.  She then said that one of the new girls said:  "Would you like to get lunch with us?"  Honestly, I didn't hear her say that.  Otherwise, I would have said yes.  If I didn't want to go or if I couldn't, I still would have given a reply such as "Sorry, I have other plans."  I wouldn't have just walked off saying nice to have met you if I had heard a mention of having lunch.  I will probably run into the 2 new girls some time in the coming weeks.

Thx for your advice.

But if your friend heard the girl saying it, why didn't SHE reply to her, or at least nudge you and say, 'Hey, Susie just asked us to have lunch!' ???

you could try apologizing for not hearing them

• `

If you ever get the chance to meet them again, apologize and state the reason why you didn't answer the question. Other than that, I'd forget about the situation.

Easy. You just admit your fault the next time you see them and invite them to have lunch with you proving your sincerity.

• reme_1

Send them a message with a short polite apology. period Don't worry yourself to death over this.

You did seem a little rude, though you didn’t mean to, it is important to listen to people when they talk, or you’ll miss conversation and they’ll think you’re stuck up.

Been there! I know how you feel.

You need to sincerely apologise to your friend,  and the girls.

You can say sorry, my bad, I didn’t mean to be rude or similar.

Be sincere.