What causes vertigo?

I was laying down last night and woke up so dizzy everything spinning I thought I was dying. I called my mother and told her to bring me to an emergency room I really thought I was dying and was so dizzy and everytime I moved my head things would move. I was so scared. I went to the e.r and they told me I had vertigo and gave me an I.V and they gave me some medication to help it.

I have pcos and have been taking metformin to help it. Is there a correlation to that? It happened a half hour after i took it.

I also had been using q tips in my ear if that caused it.

Will it go away? Please help I’m 24

hopefully it'll go away, i had an appt with my doctor one day, when i came i asked him why i spent my night being dizzy , he looked at my ears and had his assistant clean them out, too much wax can cause dizziness too

I've had vertigo several different times in my life. I end up lying back down since it seems to happen as I get outta bed in the morning. It seems to go away after an hour or so without any medication.