In a bathroom sink drain, is the dissimilar metals joint I see there a soldered joint, done with a torch?

Update:

There is a copper pipe coming out of the wall, connected to a chrome piece.  That is the joint I mean.

Update 2:

In other words, how was the copper pipe which comes out of the wall joined to the chrome piece that connects to the p-trap? Is it a soldered joint, done with a torch?  I remember when YA permitted photos to be used here.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Gedia
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If you google plumbing fitting joints you will find many are crimps ( sneezed tight joints, with special tool, pliers , no need to solder many joints now ! Quick and cheaper to do the job, but still good, if done correctly.

• 2 months ago

Modern plumbing uses simple compression gaskets. Generally the sewer pipe is PVC plastic and not copper.  One of the drain fittings is sized so that the PVC/copper pipe will insert into it. That fitting has threads and there is a nut that is made up on the threads.  Inside the nut is a wedge shaped gasket.  So, you put the pipe inside the fitting and tighten the nut, the gasket wedges against the pipe and forms a seal.  It works for low pressure gravity drains/static water.   It is not much and simpler that you would expect.  Thanks to plastic being the perfect material for sewers.  Go to the hardware store and look at the drain plumbing.  You will see how it fits together.   The more expensive way is metal and it is not as good. It will eventually corrode out after 25 years + or -.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Many of those chrome/nickle looking fittings have a copper lining to them. That enables them to be soldered. I do not know if that is what you are looking at or not. There are some designed to look like they are all one piece or soldered but are actually threaded inside.

• 2 months ago

You didn't include a photo, so we can't tell what kind of joint is used.

YA STILL allows photos.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That isn't a problem. You just have to make sure both metals are clean, usually sanding or steel-wooling it and then heating it up with flux, and then, when soldering, making sure both metals get hot enough under the blowtorch that the solder fully adheres to both metals. 

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You answered how to make a solder joint. The question asked was what kind was already there.

• 2 months ago

Your question still not understood.. Your making statements

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

OK.  How was the copper pipe which comes out of the wall joined to the chrome piece that connects to the p-trap?  Is it a soldered joint, done with a torch?  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.