is this true?A person that graduates community college can transfer to a 4 year college and graduate there in 2 to 3 years?

9 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

    Associate's degree from a community college is typically equivalent to general education requirements of the first two years of bachelor's degree at a 4-yr university. So if you earn associate's with 60 (or more) credits and they all transfer into a bachelor's degree program, you should graduate in 2 more years - another 60 credits or so.

    Note courses with grades below C will not be accepted for transfer credit, and you may need 3.0 GPA or better to transfer, depending on the school you want to transfer into.

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    Un general. But every university decides what credits it accepts from a CC, and which it doesn't, what GPA they will accept from the CC. And of course you have to meet their normal admission standards.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Generally, yes.  A person who is attending a community college may apply to transfer to a university whether or not they complete an AA or AS degree.  Even if a person earns an AA or AS degree, they must meet the admissions requirements to go to a university.  The requirements to earn an AA or AS degree map to about the first to years at a university.  As such, it is certainly possible that a transfer student could earn a Bachelor's degree in two more years of full-time courses.  

  • 3 weeks ago

    Yes, although not every course of study will transfer. Contact the community college and ask about their "transfer program" with four-year colleges and universities.

    You'll be able to take your first two years of college at community college, and then transfer to a four year college or university. If the community college has "transfer agreement" with four year colleges and universities, and if you meet their minimum GPA requirement in the prescribed classes, you can automatically transfer to a four-year college or university (although not necessarily your first choice) after your second year.

    • martha3 weeks agoReport

      And will I graduate the four year college in 2years

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    Yes, that is true. Some or all of credit hours you earned at the community college transfer as credit hours toward a bachelors degree offered by a 4 year college of the university. You really should check that YOUR community college has a reciprocity agreement with the university AND the colleges and schools of the universities you want to transfer to. You do NOT have to graduate from community college, but you should graduate.

  • John
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    Yes. You don't actually need to get an Associate's degree from the community college. As long as you make sure the credits you earn at the CC will transfer to the 4 year school, you should be able to get your Bachelor's degree 4 years after starting at the CC. Generally, one going that route takes their general education courses at the CC, and their upper division courses at the full college.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Yes, it's true, but it has to be carefully planned so that you don't waste time and money taking classes you don't need, or have to retake classes that weren't acceptable for transfer.

    Anyone who plans to take this route should talk to an academic counselor at their community college within their first year.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Idk but I hope to do that for college

  • 3 weeks ago

    yes, that's true

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.