Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 2 months ago

Can a CT scan with contrast miss cancers and heart problems etc.?

So my mum has a lot of foot swelling. Shes diabetic, mild heart regurgitation, slight enlargement of heart , high bp. Everythingis in control and on long term steroids. Therefore a lot of weight gain. She has CT scan with dye to rule out clots and I heard it also rules out cancers. Doc said everything is normal but swelling cause is unknown. Could something have been missed? She has all possible tests done

• Tavy

A cat scan will show small lumps, mine showed a tiny nodule in my lung. It does not miss anything.

UK

If she had a CT scan of her foot done - it is most certainly NOT going to show anything dealing with the heart or anyplace else. Duh? That would require a full body scan or a scan of the chest area.

Spotting cancer by CT scan - means the cancer is so large it is can be seen. A person could have hundreds of small cancers and it would all be missed. Here they use a blood test to look for specific antigens - but - you need to know what you are looking for, usually some other symptom like pain or lump or swelling, or redness directs the doc to that area.

• Tavy

Don't agree, a CAT scan of my lung showed a small nodule.