Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is there ever a polite way to tell someone to mind their own business?

Especially a coworker who thinks that they can comment on the way you live your life, even though it has no effect on them or anyone else. I won't get into the details, I would simply like to tell this person and others like them to mind their own business without having the threat of losing my job over my head.

I run into people like her no matter where I go, so even if I just quit and found another job, chances are at least one person there will have the same attitude she does.

I generally prefer to keep to myself at work, but sooner or later people find out some details about your life whether you like it or not, I guess.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

"Sue, I can't believe you waste time thinking about how I spend my time away from work. Do you have the Frobisher papers?"

"Sue, I'd appreciate it if we could stick to work and not discuss my personal life. Where'd those Frobisher papers land?"

"Sue, I feel strongly that my private life is just that, private. I prefer not to discuss it at work. Did I give you the Frobisher papers yet or are they still on my desk?"

Not especially confrontational, and a quick and friendly return to work matters.

• 1 week ago

choke them to death in their sleep

Source(s): personal experience
  • 3 weeks ago

Just laugh and shrug your shoulders at personal questions and quickly change the subject or leave the room/area.

• 4 weeks ago

No. But there is a way to not give them a chance to make a comment. Stop talking about your life in front of them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Them: "What a strange way to run your life."

You: "Really? Well now; where's that file I was working on?"

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Yes. No need to waste energy berating them; just acknowledge they said something, and move on to WORK.

• `
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Don't give out any information. Problem solved.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Well, sometimes questions about time away from work is a form of small talk. The don't really give a crap about what someone did, they're just making conversation. So it's hard to know the context of the inquiry. You can be repetitive and keep saying something along the lines of "not much how about you?' If you say it enough times ideally they will get the drift and stop asking. If not a calmly stated, "my personal life is just that-Personal!"

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Since it is rude of her to ask or comment, you are perfectly at liberty to ignore her. 

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Just say i do not talk about my personal life at work so shut up about it please.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

just tell them to stop being so nosy

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.