Taylor asked in PetsReptiles · 4 weeks ago

Can I breed a 6 year old bearded dragon to a 2 year old bearded dragon?

I have a 2 year old leather back bearded dragon that I really want to try breeding with my 6 year old male. He is much bigger than her and bobs his head at her whenever he sees her. Is it safe to breed them together?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Yes, but keep in mind that reproduction can take a toll on the female body. If she is gravid, you should feed her a lot more and also make sure she has enough calcium and vitamin D, since the egg requires a lot of vitamin. Make sure you know how to incubate the eggs before trying to breed reptiles. You need a way to keep the eggs warm but not too hot (around 90 deg. F would be ideal. You also need to make sure the eggs do not lose too much water. Add distilled water if the eggs develop dents. I used to incubate eggs in the garage (so it won't get too hot even on hot days) and I used a half filled aquarium with water and a thermostatically controlled water heater. I put the eggs in a galllon glass jar with a cloth cover for ventilation and to keep out insects like flies that can lay eggs on the eggs. The jar is then party submerged in the water on top of a brick. I use vermiculite as incubating substrate.

• 4 weeks ago

There are some great reptile breeding groups on facebook. Find one and let them guide you through the process. I would get them both checked by a vet as well to make sure they're healthy enough to breed.

• 4 weeks ago

I never bred them but I would think if the male would then it would be fine. As long as the female is big enough. I have friends that bred male snakes when they were 25 years old. So if the male will breed it shouldn’t be a problem

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.