Taylor asked in PetsReptiles · 4 weeks ago

Can I breed a 6 year old bearded dragon to a 2 year old bearded dragon?

I have a 2 year old leather back bearded dragon that I really want to try breeding with my 6 year old male. He is much bigger than her and bobs his head at her whenever he sees her. Is it safe to breed them together?

Yes, but keep in mind that reproduction can take a toll on the female body. If she is gravid, you should feed her a lot more and also make sure she has enough calcium and vitamin D, since the egg requires a lot of vitamin. Make sure you know how to incubate the eggs before trying to breed reptiles. You need a way to keep the eggs warm but not too hot (around 90 deg. F would be ideal. You also need to make sure the eggs do not lose too much water. Add distilled water if the eggs develop dents. I used to incubate eggs in the garage (so it won't get too hot even on hot days) and I used a half filled aquarium with water and a thermostatically controlled water heater. I put the eggs in a galllon glass jar with a cloth cover for ventilation and to keep out insects like flies that can lay eggs on the eggs. The jar is then party submerged in the water on top of a brick. I use vermiculite as incubating substrate.

There are some great reptile breeding groups on facebook. Find one and let them guide you through the process. I would get them both checked by a vet as well to make sure they're healthy enough to breed.

I never bred them but I would think if the male would then it would be fine. As long as the female is big enough. I have friends that bred male snakes when they were 25 years old. So if the male will breed it shouldn’t be a problem