Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

can you change an adult to be polite?

suppose there is 30 year old woman who is rude and disrespectful to everyone. As her boss, can you change this woman to be respectful and polite?

Update:

a teen still possible but how about an adult?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can't change her underlying personality but you can tell her to behave better at work or she won't be employed there anymore.

• 3 weeks ago

You can bring to her attention the fact that her lack of politeness to her colleagues may result in her losing her job.

• 3 weeks ago

You really can't change people unless they also want to change.

• 3 weeks ago

only if she wants to change

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Raven
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

If you are her employer, the only thing you can do is decide whether or not she is going to have a place of employment with you any longer. Personally, I would not want to keep someone on the team who is rude and disrespectful towards my other employees. I do not have time for her garbage and I would like my office to stay clean. 

• Lita
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

No, you cannot. You cannot change another adult's behavior only your own.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Short of physical restraint, one can never - boss, parent, or anyone else - MAKE another person do anything. The ONLY behavior you can control is your own.

Therefore, alter your own behavior and act like a boss. Counsel her, formally, on her rude behavior, preferably using examples that you have observed first hand. Have her sign a copy of the counseling statement, and put it in her personnel file. In the statement, tell her exactly what she did that was wrong, which company rule her behavior broke, and what can happen (“progressive disciplinary action that may include termination”).

If she does it again (and she will), write ANOTHER counseling statement as before, and snd her home (without pay) for the rest of the day, and suspend her (without pay) for up to 3 days).

If she does it again, write a final counseling statement, as before, and terminate her.

• 3 weeks ago

Let her go, at that point in their life that is just a part of her personality and probably someone you wouldn't want on your team.

• Cyrus
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

There's a form of social thinking called Growth Knowledge, where the older you are, the harder it takes for you to change. And then there's Circumstantial Knowledge, where you need to go through a life changing even in order to change, such as going through a war, or experiencing homelessness, and being defenseless against an assault. People call those experiences Wisdom.

To finally answer your question lol, you can't change adult, because they've passed the growth knowledge. They will have to change themselves. You can however influence them by convincing them of consequences of not showing politeness, warning them about what would happen if they continue to act rude, and displaying light punishments. Make sure the punishment gets stronger for each act, this will trigger the brain to learn that something bad will happen if a certain action is practiced. Be careful, because if something goes wrong she will be effected for the rest of her life.

Hope I Helped ^_^

• 3 weeks ago

Nope it's either too late for her or there's an underlying issue causing her to be like that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.