Why does gas cost twice as much in California as other states?

• David

Two reasons:

1. Lots of cars in California affects both supply and demand.

2. California (The Land of 1000 Taxes) imposes the highest gas tax in the country. Lots of politicians in California, and sometimes it seems that raising taxes is their favorite activity.

• Thank you for the clarification: Gas costs twice as much in California as some other states.

• F

Even Californian prices are half what we pay in the UK.

• Cap'n. America

I've met 2 from LA, including the poster with the Gay name, here. Both seemed to fail at Math.

Because it isn't twice as much. Yes it costs more, but not "twice as much". I just did a road trip from San Diego to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Unleaded regular gas in San Diego when I left was $3.99 a gallon and was $3.95 when I got home. In Yuma, AZ (my first stop) it was $2.78 which if it was twice as much in California it would be $5.56 a gallon. In New Mexico, I paid an average of $2.54 which was pretty darn cheap, but if it was twice in Cali that would be $5.08. The past month or so gas went up from a reasonable $3.39 at my local gas station, but rocketed up to $3.99 because of the unexpected closure of a major refiner for maintenance in the state. However that is now up and running and it is expected the cost will decline to more normal amounts by the end of October. And as for those who have complain about the higher taxes in California, there is a viable option: leaving the state. One of the posters above already did. Please do so if it bothers you so much as we could use the room on the freeway.

• I was in Texas and Louisiana a couple weeks ago up and it was under $2 for regular.

It isn't. AvGas, 110 LL is $4.45 everywhere.

U said gas, not specifically regular or unleaded MoGas or at a Circle K or at Chevron. Gas prices can vary as much ad a dollar between stations and grades. That's a 2.00 variance within a few miles. . I see regular as low as $2.30 in my town, but I can go 50 miles and it's 2.95 at the only station in 15 miles.

That white gas for Coleman lanterns and stoves is $8, everywhere.

Because the liberals have to pay more State tax on gasoline to help pay for the illegal aliens they love so much.

Excessive taxes. This is why I moved away from there.

• don r

The gas formula is different in California that in other states. There is higher tax in California on gas as well.

a) Don't be ridiculous, it's NOT twice as much. You're totally exaggerating.

FAIL

b) The reason is higher taxes and required additives such as ethanol that boost the price.

California is doing everything they can think of to increase gas prices so you will give up driving.

• Cap'n. America

It is $3 in AZ. So; "$4" isn't Twice. One exception falsifies any generalization.

• JetDoc

Because the State of California has the highest tax rates in the country on gasoline.