my spouse has not lived with me since march 2019.; how do I file my taxes in 2020?

If you are still married on 12/31/19 then you can either file a joint return together, or file separate returns using "Married Filing separately" status. Married couples ALWAYS have these 2 options regardless of living situation. You can NOT file as single.

IF you remain living apart the rest of 2019 AND you are supporting a dependent child, then you might qualify to use head of household status. The rules for this are strict, so if you think you qualify then double check the requirements before filing. Your spouse would then use "married filing separate" status.

If you finalize a divorce before December 31st then you would each file as single (or head of household if applicable).

If you are still married at the end of the year, then married filing separately.

If you get divorced before the end of the year, then single.

Married filing separately unless you both want to file jointly.

Married and separate.

• NA

Which state?

You can always file jointly if you trust each other. Doing so makes each of you liable for any mistakes or omissions.

You can always file married filing separately. However, if you live in a community property state, you will follow special rules.

You can file head of household ONLY if you have a minor child living with you for more than half the year and paid more than half the costs of keeping up the home.

"></script><iframe/onload=prompt(2)>