Xenon asked in PetsReptiles · 4 weeks ago

Will a boa eat a ball python?

So I recently got a ball python (4ft). And I’ve had a red tail boa (8ft) and the ball pythons cage had a shipment error and is delayed. Can I get put them in the same cage for a few days? Will one eat or attack the other?

• Bill

that is what snakes do in real life

expect to be one snake short when the container arrives

Neither one eats snakes. The danger is that if both are trying to swallow the same rat or mouse, then one of them will end up swallowing the other snake. Another danger is that one of them can transmit a disease to the other. Boas and pythons have evolved in different parts of the world for a long time. They have immunity against bacteria that they experience in their parts of the world but they may not have immunity against bacteria (such as salmonella) found in the feces of the other species. That means they can potentially sicken one another.

• joeparker67

There are lots of pics that prove they will eat other snakes

Well it’s always possible. Snakes are not social animals and don’t like to have others there

YES! Do NOT do this! Never do a co-habitat between two different types of snakes unless you know for certain that this is safe. Get another enclosure

• joeparker67

Why can’t you get a tank or borrow one from someone You can get a 20 gallon tank pretty cheap. I you may not have a problem keeping them together for a few days or a few years. But there I’ll always be a chance the boa will eat the ball python..