Why do my nails get dirty and how do I keep them clean? ?

I’ve recently been trying to grow out my nails after having short nails my whole life and they get SO dirty somehow! I use the tool on my nail clippers to scrape underneath them a few times a week and they’ll be clean as a whistle after I do that, but then they’ll somehow get dirty again. I don’t understand! I don’t push anything under my nails, I don’t see how they could get dirty but they do and I’m really not sure what to do about it. As I said, I clean them several times a week but when I go into work (I work as a cashier) and they somehow get dirt under them it makes me look unclean. I’ve inserted a picture of how they look. 

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I use a soft nail brush to clean the dirt. It's much kinder to my fingers than scraping with a file or knife. What I find that causes the dirt is everyday living, such as cooking, cleaning, unpacking groceries. Also--and it depends on the climate where you live--I find winter gloves make my nails embarrassingly dirty. It's the linings and their shedding, I guess; but it's just awful.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would contact someone in charge of that acct and let them help you with it

• 3 weeks ago

hello soak them in vingear if you smoke they might discolour alittle nails change due to the weather and personal things f you get to concerned go and see a professional person good luck thank you

• 3 weeks ago

I have long nails and that's a problem for me too. I have no idea what that gunk is but even after being in bed all day with migraine I have a crescent of crud under the nails. I either keep my nails painted or carry a nail file I'm my purse to scrape out the gunk.

• Ky3 weeks agoReport

I would love to paint my nails but my job won’t let me :/

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

cause youre using your hands everywhere, i would just clean them more often

• Ky3 weeks agoReport

I’m not using underneath my nails everywhere. 

• 3 weeks ago

Start by cutting your nails.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.