what is when veteran died and no spouse is living?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

James, the term you are looking for refers to a "primary next of kin" (PNOK), which is the first person to be contacted when a serviceman dies. The criteria for determination on who gets notified is below, with a link provided courtesy of military.com:

"The designated PNOK is in order of precedence: that is, the first living survivor highest on the following list:

Member's surviving spouse.

If there is no spouse, then the eldest child over the age of 18 including those by prior marriage.

If there are no children over the age of 18, then father or mother of the deceased.

If there are no parents, then the eldest brother or sister or other blood relatives.

This system for determining PNOK will be used unless legal exclusive (sole) custody of the member had previously been granted to a person outside this order of precedence by reason of a court decree or statutory provision."

https://www.military.com/benefits/survivor-benefit...

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

And your Question Is?

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Care to rephrase that in English?

Dead is dead.  Having a spouse has no bearing on deadness.  

The only difference is that someone other than a spouse is the next of kin--it's not rocket science.  The same rules apply when anyone dies.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

They just die. I am a veteran, and unmarried. If I did, I just die. That's it.

• capitalgentleman
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Well, I am only 60, so, I hope to be here a while yet! But, when I go, no-one here will know.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

What?

• 4 weeks ago

What happens is the same as for anyone else that dies without a living spouse.

• 4 weeks ago

He'll be cremated. A new policy by the Veterans Affairs.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

He may bet burial benefits. Maybe not.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

He is dead, then gets buried somewhere

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.