Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 3 weeks ago

US Flights? Why when I see a flight departure time, often the plane leaves Sooner than that?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Flights will leave early if everyone is on-board and the flight crew is given permission to be pushed back from the gate. Happened at DFW causing my wife and 2 kids to miss their connecting flight.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

As otyhers hsve said

IF the plsne gets loaded with all ticketed passangers they request permission to taxi out. If granted it happens. But it is very very rare

• 3 weeks ago

It doesn't.

Departure time is the time the plane is scheduled to leave the gate/pushes back from the gate. In order to make Departure time, all passengers have to be boarded and the doors closed which is why you need to be on the plane 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. By the same token, if all passengers are on board early, the plane can push back earlier to make their slot

Take off/wheels up time is the actual time the flight takes off. Planes have a scheduled time slot based on their departure time and if there is a delay in Departure time, guess who gets to go to the end of the line? This becomes an issue with busy airports like LGA, ORD or DCA

• 3 weeks ago

Really it does?

About 100,000 departures per day .OFTEN means what? One flight per day a hundred or thousands.

Plane doors can close many minutes before departure. During weather events a plane MIGHT dispatch early when ALL are on board and all is ready to go.

Sorry your definition of many makes it seem like every few minutes planes just go at will early.

At some Airports flights depart every minute. There is not room for a plane just to go when they want.

Pulling away from the gate has nothing to do with being next to take off.

Suggest you look at a better source of information on EARLY dispatch.

Try the operations control of Airline.not the magic website someone created that guesses the details.

Just to be clear on your magic website departure means what?

The plane left the gate the plane is on the runway. the plane has left the ground.

The scheduled departure time specifically means what? Leave the gate or wheels up left the ground?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

rare, but it does happen. I flew from Ft Lauderdale t Philadelphia. Everyone was on board and seated, so the flight was able to leave 10 min early. .However, the plane had to sit on the tarmac for 10 minutes until a gate was available.

• 3 weeks ago

The planes don't often leave early. Departure means pulling back from the gate. The doors may close but that is not departure. I can only remember 1 or perhaps 2 flights that actually departed early. This can be done if all passengers are on the plane.

• 3 weeks ago

Technically, everyone is supposed to be on board and the boarding door closed 10 minutes before the scheduled departure but if they have everyone on even earlier, they might be able to leave sooner but it's pretty rare. Even if the passengers are on board, there may be operational delays, airport delays, baggage delays and unforeseen issues. I've been on planes that boarded on time but left late. Hardly ever get the straight story.

• MS
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

They start boarding planes 30-45 min before the scheduled departure. If they have everyone on board before departure time, then they close the doors and get moving.

• Mark
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Because when everyone is all onboard, there's no reason to hang around.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.