How can I get sticky foam off my car window?

It was a rental car before I bought it and the rental company had some kind of sticker with two strips of sticky foam on the front window. I've tried using peanut butter (my daughter's suggestion) and scraping it with a plastic knife, but only some of it came off.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Try a lubricant such as WD-40.

• 3 weeks ago

White gas is probably best for removing any solvent based adhesive and it leaves no residue. Paint thinner will also probably work.

• hart
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

hot air: Hairdryer, next is Turpentine

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Razor blade at a low angle, and just slice the worst of it off. Keep at it.

You can lean pretty hard on a razor blade and so long as you're using it in the razor direction and not as a knife, it won't hurt the glass. Get all the foam off that you can, then come back with a white Scotch-Brite pad and some glass cleaner. Light pressure and rub until every trace is gone.

Then a clean paper towel or cloth, glass cleaner again and polish all the glass.

Job's done. Enjoy the view.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

WD40 will soften it and it can be rubbed off

• 1 month ago

A product called good off available at Wal-Mart will take care of it.

• 1 month ago

An actual razor blade is best. Using a solvent to soften the adhesive usually makes it easier.

• bond
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

gasoline...........

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol (wet a paper towel and leave it in place for awhile), then use a metal scraper to remove the foam. Remember that glass is harder than steel, so there should be no scratching.

• 1 month ago

razor knife followed by a solvent for the last of the glue.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Wrong order. Solvent to soften followed by a razor to remove.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.